Monday, August 12, 2013

Family Reunion Western New York

This photo, the original of which is very dark, is of a family reunion in Western New York, most likely Gerry, Chautauqua County. I can only clearly identify two people: Blanche Olmstead Cowden, who is the first woman in the back row, and her daughter Mneatha Cowden, in the middle of the back row holding a little boy. Blanche's husband was Morris Cowden, M.D. I don't recognize him in this photo.

I do not believe this is an Olmstead reunion as I don't recognize any other Olmsteads in the photo. It might be a Strong reunion but I would expect to see more Olmsteads at it since Blanche's mother was Mahala Strong Olmstead. It could be a Cowden reunion. It could also be a McCullough reunion as this photo came from the photo album of Kenneth Olmstead, whose mother was Lillian McCullough Olmstead, 2nd wife of Wallace Olmstead. That is my best bet until proven otherwise. Another possibility is that it is a Damon reunion, although I'm not quite sure of the Damon connection but Kenneth had other Damon photos in his album. I wish the photo was of better quality. I've lightened it but it is still hard to make out several of the people.

As for when it was taken Mneathea Cowden was born in 1897. She looks to be in her late teens or early twenties.



2 comments:

  1. I am relative to the Cowden family. I was wondering if the gentleman in the second row far left was Morris Cowden? I do not have any pictures of him or his brothers; but he bears a resemblance to my father. If you ever find out who these people are, please share with me. Thanks! My dad was Ward Marvin Cowden. s/o Gerald Leroy Cowden/Ethel Ward Smith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa,this photo is so dark it's hard to pick out who is who. I think Morris Cowden is the man in the front row who is holding a little girl. But I could be totally off base. I have company this weekend. Monday I will post some of my photos of Morris.

      Delete