Friday, August 16, 2013

Chautauqua, New York High School Faculty 1925

This photo belonged to my Dad's first cousin, Mneathea Cowden, daughter of Blanche Olmstead Cowden and Morris Cowden, M.D. She was on the faculty of Chautauqua High School in 1925. I don't know whether she was a teacher or librarian. She had her master's in library science and later in her career was the head librarian in the Scarsdale, NY public schools.

I have the names of the teachers in the back row. The photo is damaged so most of the names from the front row are missing. I will be sending the original to the high school but descendants of those in the photo could download this copy and make prints.

Left to right back row: Mr. Rodwell, Miss Maxwell, Miss Cowden, Miss Empic (hard to read, maybe Empire), Miss Lois (first or last name?), Mrs. Cale or Cole, Miss Peterson, Mrs. Johnson, Miss Wightman, Miss Haynes, Mr. Field.

Front row: Miss Kelley, Smith (Miss or Mrs. torn off). The other names are not available.

The photo is labeled June 1925.


1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting this! I have been trying to discover as much about my family as possible. Morris Cowden was related to me.
    My dad was Ward Cowden. His father was Garold Leroy Cowden. He had started to track his family tree before he got sick and passed away. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible. My Aunt Marylou has been very helpful with this endeavor also!!

    ReplyDelete