Friday, August 16, 2013

Grandmother and Two Boys

The first photo below is of an older woman, I presume a grandmother, and two little boys. She is holding a book and the boy in back also has a book. There is no writing on the back of the photo and no photographer's name on the front. The original belonged to my great grandfather Wallace Gifford Olmstead of Gerry, New York. He died in 1916. I do not believe the woman is his 2nd wife Lillian McCullough Olmstead. I think she is more likely a Damon, McCullough, or possibly a Strong.

The second and third photos are, I believe, the same two boys in the first photo.  They are of slightly different heights so they could be fraternal twins or brothers 1 to 2 years apart in age. I'm guessing the sailor suits' photo was taken a year or so before the peasant outfits' photo. These photos are also from Wallace Gifford Olmstead's collection. Edited to add : I found a note I made about 10 years ago after talking with Nellie Weismann in Gerry. She thought the boys could possibly be Norman and Lester Damon. Lester was born in 1899, Norman was a little older. She did not recognize the woman. 

I think these photos are likely of people who lived in Gerry, Chautauqua County, New York. They are probably related to the Olmstead family, possibly by marriage. 




No comments:

Post a Comment